Our blog, Lets Live Fast, is now hosting a new feature: Style Spotlight. Like the name suggests, each month we feature a budding fashionista and trendsetter and host an interview. Hope you enjoy!
Our first Style Spotlight is on Michelle Yue, an art and business student from Dallas, TX. She has a great blog on Chictopia and also reached status of “style icon” in the Chictopia community. Michelle’s style is like no other: her signature monochrome looks are at times reminiscent of the likes of Balmain, Givenchy or Alexander Wang. But besides that, one of the main reasons we decided to feature Michelle is because of her ability to translate the latest trends into successful DIY projects; just one look at her amazing slasher tights and the zipper chain body harness will convince you that this is one amazingly stylish girl.
Keep reading for the interview!
1. Who are you? What made you decide to start a blog?
My name is Michelle Chang (Yue is my middle name) and I decided to start a blog so that I could keep a sort of journal on how I dressed and how people respond to it. It’s all a huge learning experience for me.
2. Describe your style- your style icons, influences, etc.
I’m influenced by almost anything: the weather, manga, fashion blogs (of course), and shades of black, gray, and white
3. Tell us about your famous Zippers & Chains Body Harness- what was the inspiration behind it?
After lusting over a chain body harness for so long, I wanted to make my own but with a different twist. So being also inspired by Angie’s cage skirts, I emailed her with an idea and sketch and it bloomed from there (somewhat slowly, but surely). It’s a very versatile piece, and I am usually not one to overload on the accessories, so the finished product was the ideal accessory for myself, and hopefully many others!
3a. For future reference, are you working on anything right now?
I have quite a few sketches drawn out, some destroyed t-shirts with different zipper patterns, caged vest, and metal fringe necklaces, but nothing is in the works at the moment, just still in my sketchbook.
4. How would you describe your taste in art? (i.e. your favorite artists, mediums, etc.)
I am in love with late 18th, early 19th century art. I enjoy Neo-Classicism and the use of the sublime, such as Turner’s Slavers throwing overboard the Dead and Dying and Friedrich’s Monk by the Sea. For a modern artist, I fell in love with James Rosenquist’s eerie gift wrapped dolls at the MET.
5. Where do you shop for clothes? Accessories?
For clothes I am willing to shop anywhere. Target, American Apparel, vintage and thrift shops, Zara. For accessories, the same, although I usually don’t buy any new accessories except for vintage key necklaces.
6. What’s your favorite piece in your closet?
This amazing pair of black Forever 21 leggings. I have never found such perfect leggings before!
7. Your top 3 must-haves for fall/winter?
Cashmere cardigan, leather jacket, and black leather boots.
8. Who’s your favorite online blogger ( besides yourself)?
Lulu – She is witty and has amazing taste. Her blog is the perfect mix of sarcasm and great style.
9. What’s your favorite candy?
Candy corn! The kind made with real honey.
10. If you had an unlimited amount of money to buy one thing, what would it be?
Rick Owens leather jacket
11. If you could be anyone for one day who would it be?
Sunako Nakahara from The Wallflower
12. Quick: MK or Ashley Olsen? (who do you like better)
MK for being fearlessly inconsistent
The End 🙂